Friday, June 3, 2011

Zucchini Vichyssoise

 
Mmmm I love zucchini.  Seems that more often than not, whenever I'm trying a new recipe, zucchini is involved.  This soup is no different.  It was super easy to make, and tasted just as good hot as it did cold.  

Now everyone knows I always mix up at least one ingredient... Sooooomedaaaaaaaay I'll stop making those silly mistakes.  I swear to you I won't understand the difference between scallions, green onions, and leeks until I go out and buy all three and look at them side by side, and taste them side by side.  Like that'll actually happen. Oh well! It still tasted great.

Another note on a not so secret pet peeve of mine - how awful the selection is at my local grocery store.  But, for once, I was pleasantly surprised when I found a section with realistic amounts of fresh(ish) herbs! Look at this lil guy!  A little expensive, but at least I didn't end up throwing out 99/100's of what I usually have to purchase when I need something for just one dish.  Hopefully I'll be able to avoid this with my mini-herb garden this summer!


Onto the recipe and pictures:

Zucchini Vichyssoise (borrowed from NoblePig.com)
Inspiration from Ina Garten & Jack Czarnecki

1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
5 cups chopped leeks, white & light green parts (4 to 8 leeks washed well) (or Scallions like me!)
4 cups chopped unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes
3 cups chopped zucchini (do not peel), more for garnish
6 cups chicken stock or canned broth
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 Tablespoons buttermilk or heavy cream (I used half and half)
Chopped chives and julienned zucchini for garnish
Drizzles of Oregon white truffle oil (or whatever white truffle oil your grocery store actually carries! ha!)
Heat the butter and oil in a large stockpot, add the leeks and saute over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.  Add the potatoes, zucchini, chicken stock, salt and pepper; bring to a boil; then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

I chose to process the cooked soup through a food mill instead of using a blender (either will do).  I prefer the texture the food mill makes as opposed to the blender which makes a finer puree.  (Well I got stuck with a blender and it all worked out fine! On the phone with my mother she also suggested an emulsion blender...adding that one to the Christmas wish list!)

Cool the soup for a few minutes and process through a food mill fitted with the medium disc (or in a blender in several batches).  Add buttermilk and season to taste.  Chill the soup overnight for the best flavor.

Serve either hot or cold.  We prefer the soup cold, chilling overnight for the flavors to meld.  Garnish with chopped chives , which really kicks up the flavor, as well as julienned zucchini.  Drizzle top with truffle oil.



P.S.  I got a new camera! Like a real one! Nikon D3100 from the awesome boyfriend! Still learning how to use it, but even those these pictures are all a little dark (dark kitchen, cooking at night, what can I say) I am amazed and how clear the pictures are (hopefully you can appreciate it from your computer).  It's amazing what a good camera can do, so imagine how my pictures will look when I am a seasoned photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment