Friday, December 23, 2011

Foodie Fridays - Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies!

So it's Christmas Eve Eve, and you've just realized you need one more treat for Santa.  If Santa is anything like me, he loves sweet and savory.  This recipe is your basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, with a few additions. This was my first foray into the whole "bacon as a dessert" world (which I've been eye-ing patiently for a while now) and trust me when I say this will not disappoint.  I actually wish I had put in MORE bacon. Is it also weird that whole time I was making these cookies I was thinking about Katie Bower of BowerPowerBlog.com and her love for bacon? She is hilarious, and mentions bacon all the time. Go read at least her last three blog posts and come back. I'll wait.



Back? Good. This recipe is borrowed from the ever talented Kevin from ClosetCooking.com (you can go read his posts too, but make these cookies first!!):

Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
via ClosetCooking.com
(Makes approx 12 cookies) (I strongly suggest doubling or tripling this recipe)
1/4 cup butter (softened, feel free to replace some with bacon grease)***See below*** 
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/8 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chunks
5 strips bacon (Totally use his recipe for candied bacon)

Directions:
1. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl.
2. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
3. Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
5. Mix in the chocolate and the bacon.
6. Place the dough onto a cookie sheet one table spoon at a time.
7. Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.

I'm pretty sure these cookies qualify for Christmas breakfast treats too, having said bacon in them and all. Have a very Merry Christmas!

***EDIT/UPDATE: So over the past few months I've made these cookies several times.  The first time I made them, the recipe called for 1/2 cup of butter (or 1 whole stick) but in my head I read that as 1/2 stick (or 1/4 cup). They came out great, and I was none the wiser to my mistake until I screwed up this recipe.  Since then, I've made the cookies with the 1/2 cup or 1 full stick of butter, and they were not as good!!  They flattened out like pancakes, and I like my cookies chunky!  So I tried it again, using half the butter and my mistake definitely made this recipe better.  The recipe above now lists 1/4 cup of butter, which is exactly what I suggest you use (unless you are doubling, duh).  Just know that if you've looked at this in the past, it used to say 1/2 cup and I believe that it is so much better this way! And you can't complain about it being a bit healthier with less butter too :-)***

No comments:

Post a Comment