Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wedding Fun Wednesdays - 50's Bridal Shower Part 2 - Dish Soap Apron Favors Tutorial


Continuing the fun from my 1950's Housewife themed bridal shower, today we are looking at the favors I made for my guests. I got this idea from this blog post that I saved a few years ago (pre-Pinterest). The original idea was to have the guests make their own aprons. I saved all of this fun for myself (greedy, I know) so my guests could spend more time chatting, eating, and drinking.


Get those drinks ladies!!!
You might remember this picture from a teaser post from a few months ago:


I picked out some fun floral fabric quarters so that I could have a variety of aprons available for my guests, in the hopes that everyone would find an apron that tied in with their kitchen's home decor.


My very technical approach (isn't there a sarcasm font out there yet??) to this was to free hand a pattern on a piece of cardboard, and to trace onto the back side of the fabric.  I left a little room for a hem when I cut them out, and broke out the iron and glue gun to give these some clean edges.  If I had a sewing machine, I might've tried my hand at that, but this worked just fine for me.




Next up, I added my embellishments - ribbon for around the "neck" and "waist", some lace to pretty it up, and of course some pearls! What, you don't have a set of pearls for when you are washing dishes? Well if you make this for yourself, you will!





This is a super easy project that didn't take much time per apron.  As with all of these wedding projects, the time killer was in the volume.  I crafted 45 of these lil gals over the course of several evenings.  But these would be great as a gift for any lady for any time of the year, especially if you are so inclined to make a matching apron for the lady herself.



I was pleased with how these came out considering how imprecise my measurements were.  I love the extra pops of color they brought to the white linens on the tables.

I hope my guests liked them too!


Me and my bridesmaids!!
Decor, attire, games, and a few special gifts that deserve their own post coming up soon!  I really know how to drag out this bridal shower fun, huh?

Want to see more? Check out this post on some of the paper goods from the shower!

3 comments:

  1. Curious what the wording was on the favor tag? Love these favors!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them - they were so easy to make! I like to go super-cheesy whenever possible and the I just found some simple free clipart aprons online that I added to the top, and the tag read: "With this apron, your soap will have more grease-fighting power! Thank you for coming to Kayla's Bridal Shower! July 21, 2012" I printed them out in a word document and used some scalloped scissors to cut them out. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete