Friday, January 13, 2012

Foodie Fridays - Beef and Veggie Soup

 
Thanks to getting called in for jury duty, I've been getting home at a respectable time and getting tons of stuff done around the house this week.  Today I made a simple chopped meat and veggie soup, that my mother always made for me.  Tom and I are trying to be slightly healthier, and this soup is a good jump off for both of us.  Tons of veggies and really filling!

Beef & Veggie Soup
Serves 6 - 8
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 medium onion
2 - 3 carrots
2 - 3 celery stalks
8 - 16 oz V8/Tomato juice
2 - 3 cups water
2 beef bullion cubes
Additional fresh or frozen vegetables as you desire
1 tsp black pepper

Brown then drain the chopped meat, and return to pot. Add in chopped onions, celery, carrots, and any additional vegetables you've got lying around.  Depending on how many vegetables you add will determine now much tomato juice and water you need, but basically just enough to cover it. Drop in your bullion cubes and pepper and let simmer for about 20 minutes and serve!  

I skipped the fresh carrots this time since my frozen mixed vegetables already had carrots in it.Pasta or beans are always easy additions for this dish, or if you want to scale back some of the beef.  A sprinkle of parmesan cheese gives it a nice additional kick. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment