Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Christmas Tree Napkins {or Dare to DIY 2014 - Entertain! Edition)

I've followed the Dare to DIY link parties for a few years. Last year I actually pulled myself away from the toilet (morning sickness lasts all day for some) long enough to make these painted cork placemats.  It was fun.

So I told myself last year I would join in at least two of the link parties this year.  Baby steps people, blogging on a regular basis is not my thing.  And when you are staring at primered walls, that you told yourself you would get painted by Thanksgiving, and there is an adorable 4 month old that is figuring out how to bring his tiny thumbs to his mouth, it's kinda hard to justify to yourself to sit and get crafty.  But I saw this video on FB and was reminded of how much I actually enjoyed the task of folding cloth napkins. I was a waitress at two different family owned resorts growing up, and I actually loved the task of folding napkins for dinner. I still find myself refolding cloth napkins when I'm at restaurants if their fold job isn't up to my standards. #formerwaitressproblems



So I thought, oh I'll go find some vintage tablecloths and make my own festive napkins for some dinner parties we are hosting in the coming weeks. Then I remembered I have no idea where to get vintage anything in my new town.  Seriously, WHERE ARE THE FLEA MARKETS AROUND HERE???  I found one antique shop that takes itself waaay too seriously with the pricing.  Someone, someone, tell me where I can find cheap used junk to make glorious again in central New Jersey please.

So then I thought, ok, I'll skip this link party. And then I thought, NO KAYLA JUST FOLD YOUR WHITE NAPKINS.  True, I didn't lug out the paint, the orbital sander, or the sewing machine for this project. I didn't even lug out the iron, and really, I should have at least done that.  But whatever. I still like them.

Feast for your eyes, people:



Can I make a table look sexy or what?



Blogger confession: I bought washi tape for the first time. I used it to make little place tag flags attached to little ornaments from the dollar store. Little woodland critters sent down by my mother and Boom. Tablescape is done, ya'll.



I'm still searching for that perfect vintage holiday tablecloth and napkin set.  But for now I still dig this burgandy/gold/aqua number.  It really pulls in the gold and aqua from around the room. The room that I'm not ready to show you until it's a little more "done". You know, like more than just primered (it's a real word, trust).  But I did put up some pre-lit garland!


I'll only gush about that chandelier for a minute - but it's literally the first thing we bought after we bought the  house. It is hands down my favorite piece we added. Tom knew a lighting guy and we got it for a steal which was the only way we were actually going to get that thing into our house. I'll give you a real breakdown of the dining room/living room/kitchen soon enough (translation: before the end of 2015).


Kitchen teaser. Yup, that's an antique rug from ebay in my kitchen. I'm so en trend. And that is my Stokke Steps high chair.  Hands down, best money we spent on a single baby item (even though its really like 4 items).  I love that thing and so does the little one.

And here's that napkin folding video. Looks like there a couple versions on youtube, but this is the one that gave me the idea in the first place:



And if you are here from Decor and the Dog - welcome!  If not, check out the other party animals here to see what everyone came up with! Will I meet my personal goal and come back for a second link party in the next two weeks? ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

6 comments:

  1. These are super cute! And fairly simple. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tree napkins are EPIC> I mean, seriously, I'm yelling because I love them. I'm a huge fan of napkin folding, too, from working banquets. I find it very therapeutic. I gotta try these.

    And thanks so much for linking up. Loved seeing your project. Come back soon. Like, maybe next week? (No pressure. But seriously.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am totally impressed! i can not fold a napkin to save my life! or clothes- my husband does all the laundry. ;) and i hope you find some great places to thrift around you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohmygoodness that chandelier is stunning. And I had no idea napkins could be folded into cool things like Christmas trees. What a talent! I adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing! They look so, so festive and cute and fun, and I love the shiny little ornament topper, too. And I totally feel your pain on missing good flea markets--we lived in Iowa for a few years and the thrift stores were BOMB, and now we're in Utah and they are THE WORST. There are almost no flea markets or antique shops, either, and the ones that I've found take themselves way too seriously, like you said. So sad! I miss good thrifting :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a pretty napkin fold. Last week I bought fabric specifically to sew napkins to try and fold this. I just love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete