Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Re-Desiging Your Workspace - Standing Desks the "Next Big Thing"?

Photo From Benjamin Palmer via http://www.boingboing.net/2011/04/19/standing-desk-tips.html

There are a few articles circulating on sites like BoingBoing.net and the New York Times regarding the effects of a sedentary lifestyle on people who spend most of their day sitting at a desk. 


I know I personally have trouble sitting still all day (I self-diagnosed myself with Restless Leg Syndrome yearrrrrs ago) and deal with it by actually turning a garbage can over underneath my desk and rest my legs on it most of the day.  This actually forces me to sit up straighter and alleviates some of my back pain.  But this whole idea of standing at a desk for most of the day is really intriguing to me.  I think that the doctor interviewed by the NYT article might be a little grandiose in some of his claims ("Sitting is a lethal activity"). I also see some obvious design flaws as a professional woman who wears heels on some days and flats on others...dealing with the pain of heels on some days, and dealing with the varying heights of the desk depending on your shoes, but overall I really like this idea!

May have to work it in to our home office...what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment