Sunday, March 13, 2011

A is for Awesome Book Club Meeting

This past Saturday I hosted our Book Club Meeting.  Our books this month were Room by Emma Donoghue and The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.  Room was told from the point of view of a five year old boy who has spent his entire life in the same room, and was a really interesting story.  I enjoyed it overall, and it was a very easy read. The Scarlett Letter is a classic and I know people love the language of the story, but I have to say I actually struggled getting through it and didn't particularly care for the story itself. Perhaps if I had read it in high school with a great English teacher that loved the book and loved to teach the book I would have had a different perception, but alas,that was not my situation.

So aside from getting together to discuss the books (which we had all pretty much done two weeks prior when we saw each other at a Mary Kay party I had hosted), we also watched Easy A, a high school comedy that came out in 2010 that is extremely loosely based on The Scarlett Letter. And by "extremely loosely based" I mean, the main character, played by Emma Stone, is reading The Scarlett Letter in her English class, and by the middle of the movie she is wearing a red "A" on all of her clothes.  She is ostracized by her peers, but not for the same reasons as Hester Prynne. The movie is cute, funny, a tad emotional, and definitely worth renting.

What is a get-together without some good food?!?! There weren't any good food or cultural themes in either book, so we made some comfort food.  We started with red zucchini sauce and pasta, some of the most amazing homemade focaccia bread I have ever had, and finished with a beautiful red velvet cake!  All in all, a great little Saturday with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment